Latest Blog Posts

Moon Phase Shirt Tutorial

When thinking of how I wanted to make this shirt, I wanted it to be a really simple project. I've seen similar shirts with the moons printing on it, which looked great, but I wanted an easier (and cheap!) way to create it. This project turned out to be even more simple than I imagined! It took about 30 mins and only a few steps. I'm thinking next time I'll use a white tank with black moons. Enjoy!

Supplies: Black tank top, white and grey fabric paint, adhesive foam sheet.
Pantry Supplies: scissors, sponge paint brush, ink pen, cup for tracing.

Begin by tracing lines of circles onto the foam sheet. I used the rim of a cup, but you can use anything with a round base, depending on how big you want the moons to be. I suggest three circles across, filling the width of the foam. Next, draw and cut out a moon chart. You can find a template by simply googling "moon phases" and clicking "images". Next, lay the tank top flat and place a piece of cardboard inside the tank top so that the paint doesn't soak through. Remove the back of the foam template, place it onto the front of the tank top, and firmly press it down, securing it in place. With a sponge paint brush, apply shades of white and grey throughout the moons, giving it a splotchy look. Once it dries, remove the foam piece. I wanted four rows of moons, but the foam only had enough room for three rows. So for the last row, I removed the foam, cut off the top row, and turned it upside down so that the bottom row of moons would be going the opposite way like an actual moon chart. 

Hand wash it and let it air dry. 



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks. ;) I seriously spent 30+ minutes in the store just trying to decide!

      Delete
  2. Love this! I've been coveting lots of moon-phase related finds and this project looks amazing and super simple! Thanks a million for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my goodness. Kinsey I have been DYING for a moon phase shirt. But didn't want to buy something I knew I could make. LOVE this tutorial. SO so so perfect. Thank you!

    xoxo
    Juliette Laura
    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com
    www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an adorable little DIY. I will probably have to make it:)
    Leah Faye
    e plus l

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing!!!

    Zoe http://gypsiesister.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project! I love your sailboat tat! i've got a tat in that same place. Don't see that too often!

    xoxo kerri
    kerrinchance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this tutorial! There are all these cute tank top tutorials but I don't know where I can buy tank top to then decorate! Where to you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved these shirts but they're always so costly! Thank you for the tutorial! xx

    Daphne | Peanut Butter and Chocolate | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! The most popular one I've seen is the one from Brandy Melville, but I don't want it because they're all cropped. I'm definitely doing this! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting a moon shirt!!!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing! i'm so thankful for your shared creativity
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! It would be fun to paint them in different colors or shades too!

    xx
    Rachael from THE PARADERS

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw a shirt just like this at brandy melville for a horrendous price. So happy you made this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so creative. Reminds of the the supermoon we had last week. Great job on your shirt. Love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. CUTE! I keep seeing shirts like this, but they cost and arm & a leg! This sounds so much better :D
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. totally pinned this and am totally doing this!!!! where did you get the tank from?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely shirt!

    http://erstwhilefelicity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesome diy! i've been seriously wanting a shirt like this!
    Rebecca @ tr[i]b[e]cca

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a really fun idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omg yes! I absolutely must do this!

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a cute idea! Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a quick and great idea! I can't wait to try this one!
    I'll let you know how it goes!

    www.thelifeofmaisie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow! this is so cute! i'll definitely have to try it!

    <3 Sharmaine Ruth
    underpeachtrees.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so cute! I bet it would look neat using bleach to do the moon phases as well! Thanks for the tutorial. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. cute!!! I will definitely have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks super easy and a lot of fun! I love moon designs. Will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE THIS! Totally going to try to make it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. love how the brush strokes kind of look like craters! thanks for yet another great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. i love this! you always have such great tutorials! definitely trying this out. :-)

    ~ e ~ @helloscarlettblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! That's awesome! I was wondering how to do that! Thanks for the tips :)

    Justine | BRIGHTON DREAM

    ReplyDelete
  31. So cute!!

    -Maddy @ www.BeautyBanterBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the tutorial, I was able to create my own version of this shirt with your guidance! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this and am doing it for my sister, where did you get that tank-top?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well this is basically the most perfect tanktop I've ever seen ☼

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you have a question, please subscribe to the post via email so that you'll be notified once I've responded!

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)